Saturday, April 4, 2009

A Theory Manifesto

A lot of people hate theory. And I know why they do, as I used to hate it. I thought that theory was classist drivel, not important for living, and furthermore really snobby. It definitely can be—or actually I should say that people who do theory definitely can be. But that doesn’t mean that theory itself is terrible, pointless, a waste of time. That just means that people who do theory in a classist, snobby way are terrible pointless wastes of time.

I don’t want to waste your time. What I want is to create a community of people who genuinely enjoy and understand theory. I want theory to be accessible to everyone. I want folks to understand why Foucault gets me hot and bothered. I want to talk about how Judith Butler’s language is RIDICULOUS but that she has some really good ideas if you can find them. I want to learn more about Cornel West and hang out with Lacan. And I want you to join me.

Here’s the plan: at least once a week I will share with you one of my theory journeys. On top of that, this blog will walk through and unpack some of the “beginning theory” books that are out there as I read through them. I will try to keep this interdisciplinary, but know that I will definitely have more of a literary theory slant, as literature is my primary field of study. Hopefully interspersed throughout these posts I will include some connection to theory and popular culture.

Please come along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to canonball

About Me

I'm a young trans person living between two states, trying to make ends meet, both intellectually and monetarily.

Followers